Guide to Email Marketing. Start sending marketing emails now!
Recently, we have experienced a resurgence of email growth hacking strategies. On an obvious note, it makes more sense to send attractive, professional emails to a smaller group that might actually be interested in receiving such emails rather than a whole lot because if you plan on marketing everyone then you are marketing no one. But is email actually important to invest our time on? In this beginner’s guide, we introduce you to email marketing, give you techniques for writing marketing emails and show you strategies for email marketing.
It was last winter when my team worked off days and nights for multiple feature launches. Post-release we started with targeted email marketing and to our surprise we got many replies from our users but for deleting their account!!! We started looking closely at the email that we have formed and there in the corner lied a little ambiguous word which stated your account will automatically be activated to Basic plan - which was actually free- from this day on-wards. The damage was already done and as the email was rolled out to a huge set of customers, there was nothing we could do but wait to roll out another email. There are different kinds of email tools available in the market, the most common ones are business email tools like Google Business or Office 365 Buy Office 365 For Business and the others are marketing tools like Mailchimp & Saleshandy.
Following this mistake, I personally started spending loads of time reading blogs and articles on email marketing strategies. Check out this guide here that covers the in and out of email marketing and how it can help you in your business growth. Below are the contents that we will be discussing today!
- Understanding Email Marketing: Definition
- The uprise of Email Marketing
- Why is email so important
- Email Marketing Techniques
Understanding Email Marketing: Definition
I love the definition at Wikipedia. As per Wikipedia, email marketing is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. In simpler words, as the name suggests, it is the process of targeting audiences and generating leads via the mode of promotion email. This here is a well-crafted process that helps you connect with your audience and promote your brand that in turn increases your sales. Not just used for sales purposes, email marketing can also be used to announce exciting stories about your product, share your organization current status with different customers to increase the credibility of your product, etc. There is no end to it!
The uprise of email marketing.
You probably would have heard that Email Marketing is dead and it brings in no conversion. Just one sentence, never believe them. Probably the one mentioning it wouldn’t have strategized its email marketing strategies well. Instead of explaining in words, let me jot down some statistics that can clear the cloud of confusion.
- According to content marketing institute, more than 40 percent of B2B marketers say that email newsletters plays an important role to their content marketing strategy. It is also seen that more than 93% of B2B marketers use email to market their contents.
- As per Statista, more than 350 million dollars is expected to spend in advertisements via email marketing in 2019. They have also found that more than 6 billion active email accounts are expected by 2020.
- Our famous search engine Google has published that at present there are more than 1 billion MAU in Gmail.
- According to DMA, more than 90% of total email users check their email multiple times a day for promotions and updates.
- According to MyEmma, more than 50% of B2B and B2C marketers use email as their most important source of Return on Investment.
- According to Adobe, average number of hours spent checking email overall is 5.4 hours out of which 3.3 hours is average number of hours spent checking work email and 2.1 hours is average number of hours spent checking personal email.
- From the consumers point of view, Adobe has found out that 61% of consumers indicated that they prefer to receive offers via email, which is a 24 percent increase over last year.
- According to Ascend2, Email marketing strategies are considered successful to some extent by 83% of marketing influencers. Actually, more than one-third (36%) describe their email marketing strategy as “best-in-class” when compared to competitors.
There are a lot more statistics that can be put down but that is going to be a never-ending list. I guess the statistics mentioned above totally supports Email Marketing is not dead but is increasing exponentially.
Why is email so important
As per the above statistics, it is obvious that email marketing is continuing to grow exponentially but have you ever wondered why or what are the benefits that are associated with this marketing technique? If you haven’t, here is a list of benefits that email marketing can bring in if done well.
- Email is used as the most important source of ROI. According to the DMA, the return on investment for email increased to £32.28 in 2017 with every 1£ spent.
- Via Email, you can send tens of thousands of emails each day all across the globe. This increases your audience reach and can target users staying in any part of the world.
- Emails are the easiest form of sharing your content, stories, update, etc., just using single click.
- Emails are not just easy to share but easy to track too. There are now multiple email analytical tool such as MailChimp, Saleshandy, Zoho Campaigns, EmailOut etc. that keeps you posted on many different parameters of email success such as open rate, close rate, time spent, click through rate, link clicks, etc. All these data can help you create a more targeted email marketing campaign.
- Another most important benefit of Email Marketing is handy segmentation. Depending on the type of users staying in a particular region, emails can be targeted and fired out for those regions who are actually looking for a solution provided by your product. If done correctly, it will ensure that money spent on targeted campaigns will drive in an increased ROI and brand value.
- Email marketing can also help a business keep its audiences - both targeted and nontargeted - engaged. It is not the best practice to leave your audience once they have been converted as it would decrease the customer lifetime value and increase the churn rate at great rates. Via email, you can let them know the recent changes at your organization, your plans on recent feature launches, etc. It is now on you, as to how you plan to engage your audience for a longer period of time.
- Emails are very cost effective and show instant results. This, in turn, helps your business build a stronger customer relationship at a very low cost. Beautiful, isn’t it?
Facebook realizes that communities are as important as friends and are enhancing the app as well as the website.
- Groups will become more important and upfront on the app as well as the website, it will become easier to share and interact within groups. There will be a new groups tab with better find and discover tools.
- Groups are will be at the heart of the experience just like friends and family, while Facebook will remove groups very proactively if they violate any policies.
- Zuckerberg claims that this will be the biggest change to Facebook for a few years.
Email Marketing Techniques
Understanding user problems
What use is your email if it doesn’t provide or link users to a solution that solves their pain point? Your email’s most important objective is to understand the problem users are facing and providing a solution accordingly. Take a look at the email below where Angelist shows female problems receive far less attention than they deserve and how can they be resolved.
Email content personalization is the key to email growth hacking strategies in which a business after performing thorough research, uses users information to personalize the content of emails that are being rolled across the world. One of the most commonly used personalization strategy is addressing the email recipients by using their first name. You must have come across such promotional emails that address you by your first name and some that don’t. Basically, this personalization technique gives an impression to the user that you know them on a personal level which in turn increases the performance of your email campaigns. Below are two emails, which one do you think would work the most?
I personally have no interest in buying stocks and shares of any companies but yes I do have an interest in creating images. How good would that be if someone is targeting me for buying their stocks or using their product to buy stocks of different companies? This is where the user segmentation plays an important role.
Most of the time, users tend to target those users that are not actually looking for your solutions and ultimately it decrease your email campaigns effective rate and conversion drastically goes down. To avoid this, you can perform user segmentation activity on your subscriber list based on age, location, industry, etc and then start rolling out your emails. If done correctly, user segmentation can increase your conversion rate a lead generation exponentially. Take a look below at how this email from Canva successfully gathered my attention.
Not just that, here is another email from LinkedIn that shows how to save money for your foreign trip, simply by buying insurance. Who doesn’t fancy travelling? I do and I will surely go ahead and click on the link provided.
Keeping in touch
This is by far the most important strategy of your email marketing infrastructure. Keeping your audiences engaged by building awareness can increase company sales and also increase the number of potential clients. Take a look below at email on how to perform follow up.
If you need any help with digital marketing, try out a free consultation session and get answers to all your questions. Visit Smooper now!